DevSecOps is the philosophy of integrating security practices within the DevOps process. DevSecOps involves creating a “Security as Code” culture with ongoing, flexible collaboration between release engineers and security teams.
Security protocols that are baked into the development process rather than added as a “layer on top” allows DevOps and security professionals to harness the power of agile methodologies—together as a team—without short circuiting the goal of creating secure code.
Studies have found the top two benefits of security operations (SecOps): better ROI in existing security infrastructure and improved operational efficiencies across security and the rest of IT.
Another top benefit identified in the studies is the ability to make full use of cloud services.
The safety measures inherent in DevSecOps have many advantages. These include:
- Greater speed and agility for security teams
- An ability to respond to change and needs rapidly
- Better collaboration and communication among teams
- More opportunities for automated builds and quality assurance testing
- Early identification of vulnerabilities in code
- Team member assets are freed to work on high-value work
A cultural and technical shift toward a DevSecOps approach helps enterprises address security threats more effectively, in real time.
Important components of a DevSecOps approach:
- Threat investigation – identify potential emerging threats with each code update and be able to respond quickly.
- Compliance monitoring – be ready for an audit at any time (which means being in a constant state of compliance, including gathering evidence of GDPR compliance, PCI compliance, etc.).
- Code analysis – deliver code in small chunks so vulnerabilities can be identified quickly.
- Vulnerability assessment – identify new vulnerabilities with code analysis, then analyze how quickly they are being responded to and patched.
- Security training – train software and IT engineers with guidelines for set routines.
Want to learn more about DevSecOps? Tonex offers DevSecOps Training Bootcamp, a 3-day course where participants gain in-depth knowledge and skills to apply, implement and improve IT security in modern DevOps.