Software IV&V Training
Software independent verification and validation (IV&V) is valuable in multiple scenarios, including development, implementation, and the software selection process.
Sometimes referred to as software quality control, software independent verification & validation is the process of checking that a software system meets specifications and requirements so that it fulfills its intended purpose.
Software independent validation is the process of evaluating the final product to check whether the software meets the business needs. The test execution which we do in our day to day life is actually the validation activity which includes smoke testing, functional testing, regression testing, systems testing, etc.
Some common software independent validation techniques include:
- System testing
- User acceptance testing
- Unit testing
- Integration testing
Software independent verification, on the other hand, is the process of evaluating the intermediary work products of a software development lifecycle to check if we are in the right track of creating the final product.
You might also say that verification is a process to evaluate the mediator products of software to check whether the products satisfy the conditions imposed during the beginning of the phase.
The main check performed is whether user requirements are met alongside ensuring that the product is structurally sound and built to the required specifications.
IV&V programs for organizations may be used to perform reviews of the source code, examine the associated product documentation and analyze associated algorithms for static verification.
IV&V also performs dynamic verification by different testing methods such as integration testing to ensure that all software units (modules) are meshed as one, tested and properly work together.
Additionally, functional testing is often done to ensure that functionality meets user requirements. In addition, system testing is carried out over the entire software and hardware system to make sure that it is working as per the user requirements and acceptance.
IV&V is valuable in multiple scenarios, including development, implementation, and the software selection process.
For example, the software independent Verification & Validation process can help uncover high-risk errors and problems much earlier in the software development cycle.
The is important fiscally, because the cost of defects increases as the software development process approaches full implementation.
Many organizations and agencies can benefit from IV&V. NASA, for example, uses its IV&V program to improve software safety, reliability, and quality for NASA programs and missions through effective applications of systems and software IV&V methods, practices, and techniques.
Software IV&V Training Course by Tonex
Software IV&V Training is a 2-day training program covers all aspects of Software Independent Verification & Validation (IV&V).
Software IV&V is a systems engineering process employing rigorous methodologies for evaluating the correctness and quality of the software product throughout the SDLC. Software IV&V is adapted to the characteristics of the project.
We will cover an approach to IV&V that strives for objectivity and reproducibility by consistently applying a scientific approach to IV&V and through the use of industry best practices as crisply defined in the widely-accepted industry standards from the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), and the Program Management Institute (PMI).
We have over 30 years as experience performing IV&V training, seminars and consulting services on different U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) projects, other U.S. agencies and fortune 500 companies worldwide.
Our IV&V methods provide an independent process that helps identify and mitigate development risk and use risk. IMC uses a state-of-the-art IV&V methodology and tools to help us perform IV&V of any project at any point in the project life cycle.
Software IV&V Training covers standards-based IV&V processes including artifact reviews, testing (component, system, and regression), process analysis, code reviews and more.
Participants will learn how technical independence shall be used achieved by IV&V practitioners to assess development processes and products independent of the developer.
Managerial independence requires responsibility for the IV&V effort to be vested in an organization separate from the organization responsible for performing the system implementation.
We will illustrate how the IV&V effort independently shall select the segments of the software and system to analyze and test, choose the IV&V techniques, define the schedule of IV&V activities, and select the specific technical issues and problems to act upon.
IV&V training will help you with a very effective tool for ensuring adherence to established processes, application and security requirements, management methodologies, development and performance standards, business objectives, schedule, and budget. The course provides provide a clear, well defined roadmap towards strategic and operational success in your current and future IV&V projects.
Who Should Attend
Software IV&V Training is designed for software and systems engineers, software developers, analysts, as well as program and project managers who want to gain practical knowledge for leading and completing software IV&V projects.
How You Will Benefit
- Gain higher confidence that delivered products are error free and meet the user needs.
- Improve your skills and increase the likelihood of uncovering high-risk errors early in the development lifecycle.
- Increase your productivity and allows time for the design team to evolve a comprehensive solution rather than forcing them into a makeshift fix to accommodate deadlines.
- Improve the delivery of ongoing status indicators and performance reporting to decision makers (e.g. program managers).
- Allow the customer with an incremental preview of system performance with the chance to make early adjustments.
- Reduce the need for rework from the developing contractor thereby reducing total costs to programs and projects.
- Improve your skills in managing projects, meeting deadlines, reducing risk, and adhering to budget requirements.
- Facilitate of the transfer of system and software engineering best practices.
- Fine-tune your interdisciplinary skills to build a system that meets customers’ needs.
- Increase your productivity and your team’s to gain a competitive edge in your organization.
Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V)
- IV&V’s Vision, Mission, and Values
- IV&V’s Vision
- IV&V’s Mission
- IV&V’s Values
- What is Verification and Validation?
- What is Independence?
- IV&V Parameters
- Technical independence, managerial independence, and financial independence
- Expertise to assess development processes
- Products independent of the developer
- Managerial independence responsibility for the IV&V effort
- IV&V Budget for IV&V Projects and Programs
- Contractual independence
- IV&V Benefits
What is Software Independent Verification and Validation (IV&V)?
- Assessments of software issues early in the development cycle, including safety, cybersecurity assessment and mitigation.
- Tools and procedures to identify software issues early in the development cycle
- Functional (black box) and structural (white box) testing
- Testing safety-critical embedded software
- Testing tools
- Information Assurance and Software Analysis
- Case Study: FAA avionics standards RTCA DO-178 (DO-178B, DO-178C)
- Software Analysis
- User Requirements
- System vs. Software Requirements
- Software Modeling
- Coding and Development
- Software Tool Validation/Qualification
- Software Test Planning and Execution
- Software Project Coordination
- Software Discrepancy Resolution
- Software Results Reporting
Software IV&V Tools, Methods and Process
- Tools and Techniques
- Creating Software IV&V Plans
- Application Framework and Code Reviews
- Application, Database, Operating System, and Network Security Analysis
- Architecture Design Analysis
- Software Change Management Analysis
- Configuration Management Analysis
- Data Management Analysis
- Defect Analysis and Tracking
- Information Assurance Evaluation
- Performance Metrics Development and Analysis
- Performance, Load, and Stress Testing at Application, Database, Operating System, Hardware, and Network Levels
- Project Progress, Resource, Budget, Schedule, EVM, Workflow, and Reporting Analysis
- Software and System Quality Assurance Analysis
- Requirements Management and Traceability Analysis
- Requirements Traceability Matrix (RTM) Development and Management
- Risk Management Analysis
- SDLC Analysis
- Verification of Accepted Project Management and Process Standards
- CMMI, ITIL, PMBOK ®, Six Sigma, ISO 9001
- Verification, Validation and Testing Plan, and Test Case Development
Software IV&V Assessment
- Review the source code
- Examine associated product documentation, modeling and simulation
- Creating and reviewing system and software modeling diagrams in SysML and UML
- Analyze associated methods and algorithms for static verification
- Analyze associated methods for software validation
- Review system ConOps, system requirements, system architecture, software components and design and architecture traceability
- Perform integration testing to ensure all modules are meshed as one and work properly integrated
- Test functionality and match with user requirements
- Run system testing on the entire software and hardware solution
Software IV&V Testing
- Regression Testing
- Tools to uncover new bugs or defects in existing functional and non-functional areas of a software system
- Functional Testing
- Quality assurance and software testing
- Non-functional testing
- Tools for testing of non-functional requirements of a software
- Five non-functional tests: Stress, Endurance, Performance, Security, and Usability
Software IV&V Case Study and Workshop
- Tonex System and Software IV&VT Process and Tools
- Tools to mitigate the risk of implementing systems
- IV&V testing results and program management decisions
- The optimal IV&V evaluation c
- Phases: plan, analyze, review, assess and report
- High-risk project areas
- Technical correctness, including safety and security, of the system/software
- Quality of the system/software products
- Compliance with the development-process standards.
Software IV&V Training