Length: 2 Days
8D Problem Solving Training
8D Problem Solving Training workshop, Learn 8D (Eight Disciplines of Problem Solving) process to solve complex problems.
The eight discipline (8D) problem-solving training covers the eight disciplines (8D) model used for problem solving. 8D methodology is designed for quality engineers or other professionals to identify, correct, and eliminate recurring problems, making it useful in product and process improvement.
This unique course provides an overview of the 8D process, gives guidance on tools for finding root causes, shows 8D in action in eight case studies, and gives five unsolved problems for participants to apply 8D themselves for practice.
OVERVIEW OF 8D APPROACH
- Select an appropriate team
- Formulate the problem definition
- Activate interim containment
- Find root cause(s)
- Select and verify correction(s)
- Implement and validate corrective action(s)
- Take preventive steps
- Congratulate the team
HOW TO USE THE 8D APPROACH
- D0: Plan – Plan for solving the problem and determine the prerequisites.
- D1: Use a team – Select and establish a team of people with product/process knowledge.
- D2: Define and describe the problem – Specify the problem by identifying in quantifiable terms the who, what, where, when, why, how, and how many (5W2H) for the problem.
- D3: Develop interim containment plan; implement and verify interim actions – Define and implement containment actions to isolate the problem from any customer.
- D4: Determine, identify, and verify root causes and escape points – Identify all applicable causes that could explain why the problem occurred. Also identify why the problem was not noticed at the time it occurred. All causes shall be verified or proved, not determined by fuzzy brainstorming. One can use 5 Whys and cause and effect diagrams to map causes against the effect or problem identified.
- D5: Choose and verify permanent corrections (PCs) for problem/nonconformity – Through preproduction programs, quantitatively confirm that the selected correction will resolve the problem for the customer.
- D6: Implement and validate corrective actions – Define and implement the best corrective actions (CA).
- D7: Take preventive measures – Modify the management systems, operation systems, practices, and procedures to prevent recurrence of this and all similar problems.
- D8: Congratulate your team – Recognize the collective efforts of the team. The team needs to be formally thanked by the organization.
8D Workshop (Custom Project)
- 0D – Planning
- 1D – Establishing the team
- 2D – Problem description
- 3D – Containment action
- 4D – Root Cause
- 5D – Corrective action
- 6D – Validate corrective action
- 7D – Prevent recurrence
- 8D – Verify and congratulate Team