Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) is an approach to engineering that uses models as an integral part of the technical baseline that includes the requirements, analysis, design, implementation, and verification of a capability, system, and/or product throughout the acquisition life cycle.
MBSE moves toward a shared system model with remaining discipline-specific models providing their characteristic information in a mathematically rigorous format. All disciplines “view” a consistent system model.
MBSE enables overall better quality, lower cost, and lower risk for a multitude of reasons, such as:
- Modern modeling languages have clearer semantics than common boxes-and-lines diagrams, reducing miscommunication
- Consistent, single source of information keeps team on same page and reduces time spent getting answers
- Earlier detection of inconsistencies because models can be analyzed with respect to calculations, policies, rules, patterns, etc.
- Documents are kept up-to-date because they can be autogenerated from the system model
- Model-based simulation of state machines enables debugging and refinement of behavioral requirements
- System model helps to better manage complexity
- System model supports multiple views to address different stakeholder concerns, but all views refer to same model elements, so changes in an element appear on all views
It’s generally believed among systems engineers that MBSE delivers such a wide range of benefits because it introduces additional consistency and continuity, and because it is both human- and computer-understandable, and logically verifiable.
Over the past few years MBSE has grown in usage because a common model helps engineering and stakeholders effectively collaborate and help to develop a common understanding. This is important because it’s not uncommon for mission systems to be created by people with different interests and skills who must somehow find a way to work together to complete projects.
Want to learn more about MBSE modeling? Tonex offers MBSE Training with a dozen different MBSE courses that encompass both theoretical and practical material. These include:
For more information, questions, comments, contact us.