Humans make mistakes.
Mistakes cost companies money – lots of it as in billions of dollars per year.
That’s why more and more industries are turning to mistake proofing methodology to eliminate mistakes before they happen or at least make the mistake obvious once it occurs.
The primary tenant of mistake proofing is to make changes in the physical design of processes to reduce human error. The concept is also known as poka-yoke and was originally formalized by Japanese engineer Shigeo Shingo as part of the Toyota Production System.
4 Ways Mistake Proofing Can Reduce Errors
- Design mistake prevention into the process – These are design changes that essentially force the user not to error.
- Design mistake detection into the process – This allows employees to know immediately when an error has occurred and allows for corrective manuevers before damage is done.
- Design the process to fail safely – Consider car passenger airbags. Despite the accident, the airbags prevent a catastrophe.
- Work environment design that prevents errors – Opportunity for error is eliminated when complexity and ambiguity are reduced along with streamlining a process.
Experts in the field believe there are certain attributes that team leaders should strive for when creating good mistake proofing designs. These include:
- Effectiveness – Does the new design change reduce the frequency with which the errors occur?
- Inexpensive – The idea behind mistake proofing is to implement or reduce simple steps to resolve common errors.
- Easily implemented – Ideally you want to introduce design changes that are easy to accomplish without employee resistance.
Theoretically, the best mistake proofing designs should be a two-way street. Not only should mistake proofing save money by reducing employee error, it should also have benefits for employees by speeding up processes and making their lives easier.
Mistake Proofing Training (Poka-Yoke)
Tonex offers a 2-day cutting edge Mistake Proofing Training course that introduces participants to the fundamentals, process, techniques and devices necessary to eliminate mistakes, before they happen. Course content covers a wide variety of useful information including:
- Reasons Behind Mistakes
- Zero Defect Quality System (ZDQ)
- Principles of Mistake Proofing
- Mistake Proofing Process
- General Failure Modes
- Root Cause Analysis Tools for Mistake Proofing
- Mistake Proofing Tactics, Devices and Solutions
Who Should Attend?
The course is designed for leaders, executives and decision makers of an organization, managers and supervisors, engineers, business process owners, process improvement managers and leaders and system implementers and coordinators.
Why Choose Tonex?
–Presenting highly customized learning solutions is what we do. For over 30 years Tonex has worked with organizations in improving their understanding and capabilities in topics often with new development, design, optimization, regulations and compliances that, frankly, can be difficult to comprehend.
–Ratings tabulated from student feedback post-course evaluations show an amazing 98 percent satisfaction score.
–Reasonably priced classes taught by the best trainers is the reason all kinds of organizations from Fortune 500 companies to government’s most important agencies return for updates in courses and hands-on workshops
For more information, questions, comments, Contact us.