Smart Grid Training Courses
Smart Grid Training Courses: The current North American electric grid was built in the 1880s and now consists of more than 9,200 electric generating units with more than 1 million megawatts of generating capacity connected to more than 300,000 miles of transmission lines.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), while considered an “engineering marvel” for its time, the current grid has been pushed to its limits and is no longer in step with the myriad digital technological advances. So to move forward, a new kind of electric grid needs to be built from the bottom up to handle the groundswell of digital and computerized equipment and technology dependent on it.
The grid of the future is the Smart Grid, a fully automated power delivery network that monitors and controls every customer and node, ensuring a two- way flow of electricity and information between the power plants and appliances and all points in between.
Ultimately, the DOE aims to have a fully functioning Smart Grid in place by 2035 to help cut carbon emissions.
The Smart Grid consists of three major elements:
- A national electricity backbone where it is possible for people to balance the supply and demand of electric power service in the range of nation.
- Regional interconnections, which include Canada and Mexico.
- Local distribution, mini- and micro grids providing services to customers and obtaining services from generation resources anywhere on the continent.
The DOE lists five fundamental technologies that will drive the Smart Grid:
- Integrated communications, connecting electronic components to get information and control every part in real time while making every part of the Smart Grid both ‘listen’ and ‘talk.’
- Sensing and measurement technologies, to provide faster and more accurate response information of each important part of Smart Grid, such as remote monitoring, real time thermal rating, electromagnetic signature analysis, real-time pricing and demand-side management.
- Advanced components, to apply the latest research in superconductivity, storage, power electronics and diagnostics. They include: flexible alternating current transmission system devices, high voltage direct current, first and second-generation superconducting wire, high temperature superconducting cable, distributed energy generation and storage devices, composite conductors and “intelligent” appliances.
- Advanced control methods to monitor essential components, enabling rapid diagnosis and precise solutions appropriate to any event. There are three categories for advanced control methods: distributed intelligent agents, analytical tools and operational application.
- Improved interfaces and decision support. Information systems reduce the complexity of the Smart Grid to make both operator and manager use it more efficiently and easily. This also helps to amplify human decision-making.
In the future, the Smart Grid will connect everyone to abundant, affordable, clean, efficient and reliable electric power anytime, anywhere. The primary objective is to offer the world the best and most secure electric services.
Smart Grid Training Courses
Tonex offers Smart Grid Training | Smart Grid Course, a 3-day class with emphasis on developing and enhancing workforce within the Electric Power Sector. Focus on smart grid technologies. Our Smart Grid training addresses the entire electricity delivery system, including transmission, distribution and electrical equipment manufacturing.
Who Should Attend
Smart Grid training is designed for engineers, managers, executives and other professionals who need to get a good understanding about the Smart Grid.
—Smart Grid Training for Non-Engineers (2 days)
—Power Grid Operation Training (2 days)
—Smart Grid Cybersecurity Training (3 days)
—Smart Grid Certificate (5 days)
—Smart Grid Security Training (2 days)
- For over 30 years Tonex, while presenting highly customized learning solutions, has worked with organizations in improving their understanding and capabilities in topics often with new development, design, optimization, regulations and compliances that, frankly, can be difficult to comprehend.
- Reasonably priced classes taught by the best trainers is the reason all kinds of organizations from Fortune 500 companies to government’s most important agencies return for updates in courses and hands-on workshops
- Ratings tabulated from student feedback post-course evaluations show an amazing 98 percent satisfaction score.
Contact us for more information, questions, comments