There’s a commonly held public perception that software engineering is just about coding.
It’s not. In fact the importance of software engineering is immeasurable at this juncture in history and likely into the future.
Key benefits from software engineering include:
- Reduces complexity — Software engineering divides big problems into several small problems and then solves each small problem one by one.
- Saves time – Running code, especially on large projects, is time consuming. Software engineers are trained in managing the process, which normally results in a time reduction.
- Produces reliable software – Software engineers provide testing and maintenance to ensure high quality software.
- Effectiveness – Software should become more effective in performance when produced by software engineers who follow reliable standards.
- Productivity – Software engineering helps companies become more productive through decreased time and resultant lower costs. Also, if programs fail to meet standards at any stage, software engineers can always improve the code of software to make sure it maintains its standard.
But software engineering, as with technological advances in general, is not a static profession. With tools and methodologies changing and evolving in the field of software engineering, it’s very important for software engineers to stay current on new technologies and the latest software trends.
Microservices and Software Engineering
Microservices is one of the trends software engineers should be following. Microservices are a software development technique on the order of a service-oriented architecture (SOA) architectural style that structures an application as a collection of loosely coupled services.
Essentially, microservices are a new application platform that will serve as the basis for many apps in the future. This is due to the nature of the architecture that enables businesses to develop and launch new digital products much faster.
The evolution of software architecture also appears to be trending toward serverless technology because of reduced maintenance costs while allowing engineers to focus on the business logic instead of thinking about the infrastructure deployment.
There are also those who care about scalability at low cost, or the ability to pay only when a function is actually used.
Many engineers are already using services like AWS Lambda, Google Cloud or Microsoft Azure due to their flexible, easy to scale and cost-effective cloud infrastructure.
Want to learn more about software engineering and how to stay current? Tonex offers software engineering courses that cover everything from general training to software reliability and software testing.
Contact us for more information, questions, comments.