Systems Modeling Language (SysML) Training course: Systems engineers wanting to improve the precision and efficiency of communications with fellow systems engineers and other system and business stakeholders use SysML (Systems Modeling Language), a system architecture modeling language standard.
Because of its common language (lingua franca), systems engineers working with the principles of MBSE (Model-Based Systems Engineering), have sung SysML’s praises since its introduction 12 years ago.
There are a multitude of reasons why systems engineers use SysML and a Model-Based Systems Engineering approach for their mission critical work, such as:
- To provide scalable structure for problem-solving
- To furnish rich abstractions to manage size and complexity
- To explore multiple solutions or ideas concurrently with minimal risk
- To detect errors and omissions early in System Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- To facilitate Trade Studies and compare and contrast “As Is” and “To Be” solutions
For systems engineers, SysML helps in representing system-related information in universally accepted dynamic diagrams. Before software, systems engineering requirements were documented in sets. In a small system that’s not too difficult to do without too many errors. But with larger systems that’s not an easy task.
The advantage of MBSE and SysML is the ability to create models/diagrams for the system instead of using documents. When the systems engineer define or creates something in a diagram, the SysML tool maintains consistency in all the other diagrams in a process called traceability.
According to the OMG’s INCOSE, other benefits from using SysML include:
- Improved communications
- Assists in managing complex system development
- Separation of concerns
- Hierarchical modeling
- Other life cycle support (such as training)
- Improved design quality
- Reduced errors and ambiguity
- More complete representation
- Support incremental development and evolutionary acquisition.
While SysML benefits are clear, what isn’t so transparent is the best way to apply SysML.
According to the SysML Forum, the most common application (and least efficacious) is the SysML-as-Pretty-Pictyures mode. In this usage mode SysML notation is used in lieu of ad hoc modeling notation (e.g., Visio or PowerPoint drawings), but relatively little attention is paid to SysML wellformedness and its underlying simulatable and executable semantics.
Consequently, the SysML models generated in SysML-as-Pretty-Pictures mode are rarely capable of driving dynamic simulations or precisely specifying system architecture blueprints.
Another usage mode is called SysML-as-Model-Simulation. This usage mode is generally considered a significant improvement over SysML-as-Pretty-Pictures mode since it emphasizes the simulation of system dynamic behavior and system parametric constraints.
In SysML-as-System-Simulation mode at least some of SysML behavioral diagrams are exercised by a behavioral simulation engine. Also, parametric diagram constraints may be exercised by a constraint propagation engine.
Systems Modeling Language (SysML) Training course
Tonex offers Advanced SysML Training / Creating SysML Models, a 3-day course where participants learn to create SysML models using tools and frameworks. Throughout the Advanced SysML training course, attendees will work with principles in Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), SysML principals and models.
Who Should Attend
–Systems managers and engineers
–Professionals moving into system-level engineering
- SysML Training Crash Course – A 4-day course that covers the concepts, requirements, tools and techniques of Systems Modeling Language (SysML).
- SysML Training / Systems Modeling Language Training — A 3-day course that provides technical details of SysML as a systems engineering modeling language.
- Hands-On MBSE Training / Creating SysML Models Workshop — A 3-day combo course that covers modeling of complex systems, System of Systems (SoS), aerospace, military and advanced deep space applications.
- So far we have helped over 20,000 developers in over 50 countries stay up to date with cutting edge information from our training categories.
- Tonex is internationally recognized as a systems modeling language training provider with subject matter experts.
- For over 30 years Tonex has worked with organizations in improving their understanding and capabilities in topics often with new development, design, optimization, regulations and compliances.
- Ratings tabulated from student feedback post-course evaluations show an amazing 98 percent satisfaction score.
For more information, questions, comments, contact us.