6G for DoD
6G for DoD is a 2-day course where participants learn about the Pentagon’s avid interest in 6G technology.
Participants also learn what to expect in 6G use cases for the DoD in the future.
Interest in 6G has permeated beyond the business realm.
The U.S. Department of Defense has also been publicly expressing the need to learn more about what 6G can do in the future.
The DoD’s interests in 6G are obviously piqued due to the enormous ramifications for future warfighting.
Of course, the DoD is excited about 6G for many of the same reasons that other industries are – it promises to unlock radical technologies that completely change the way the world operates.
Pentagon backs new hub for developing, testing 6G technology
The Department of Defense is helping to fund a new technology hub focused on 6G communications technology called Open6G. Pentagon’s Innovate Beyond 5G (IB5G) program aims to promote the next generation of high-tech network capabilities. Open6G as an “industry-university cooperative effort that aims to jumpstart 6G systems research on open radio access networks (Open RAN).” Open6G will serve as the DoD’s hub for development, testing, and integration of trusted enhancements, supporting an industry and federal government NextG ecosystem pursuing 6G technology goals.
The Pentagon’s 6G project comes after several other government initiatives exploring 6G. In October 2021, a proposed bipartisan bill sought to establish a council and implement 6G broadband access in the U.S.
6G for DoD has uses, but three most often mentioned are:
Battlefield Communication — With 6G, the DoD hopes to be able to report the location of an enemy unit before it has a chance to strike or delivering critical information about a target’s movement in real time. The amazing data speeds plus extreme coverage make 6G a useful tool for communication in high stakes environments. More rapid communication means more effective operations, leading to shorter conflicts and fewer lives lost.
Improved Location Services — One of 6G’s expected abilities is to improve location detection to be accurate within centimeters, making technology such as autonomous vehicles practical. However, it has other applications as well, including for drones or other unmanned vehicles that may one day be sent into dangerous environments.
Additionally, some research notes that high-accuracy localization will also improve radar technology, particularly as it relates to mobile devices. Imagine sending a reconnaissance drone to a location with a text message.
Equipment Development — Just like 6G will bring a more sophisticated Internet of Things to the world, it will also do the same for the military by allowing the development of ever more intelligent, autonomous devices.
As it turns out, 6G technology has been in the crosshairs of the DoD for some time now. A December 2021 report highlighted the national security importance of 6G technology and its deployment, particularly keeping an eye toward China.
6G for DoD Training Course by Tonex
6G for DoD is a technology training course that covers the key 6G technologies. Participants will learn how the sixth-generation standard for wireless communications technologies is expected to support DoD 6G communication networks.
Attendees will examine the 6G Vision, 6G Roadmaps, and Technologies being touted for 6G.
There’s also a thorough look at 6G Applications, Use Cases that are part of 6G journey.
Participants also learn how 6G technology is expected to be designed to meet the revolutionary needs of our society, integrated into the 5G network architecture and related wired and wireless communications systems.
Additionally, participants will be exposed to an insightful look into 5G’s possible future role and how it might be melded into the 6G realm.
Who Should Attend
6G Technology Training Course is a 2-day course designed for:
- Anyone involved in 6G product development
- Anyone involved in 6G network analysis or planning
- Anyone involved in 6G design or engineering
- Professionals who want to upgrade their skills to 6G
- Anyone else who want to learn latest telecom technologies and want to work for telecom mobile operator and vendor companies
- Cybersecurity analysts and professionals working in both red and blue teams
Upon the completion of 6G Technology Training, participants can:
- Describe 6G vision and business cases
- Use 6G information to better prepare business plans for the extended future
- Better understand how 5G might fit into the 6G paradigm
- Illustrate the key technologies and building blocks of 6G networks
- Step through the evolution of 5G to 6G
- Sketch the end-to-end 6G network architecture, including new radio types, the core network and applications
- Learn about integration of 6G with THz and VLC Tera Hertz and Visible Light
- Communications), AI, Digital Twins, Cloud & Edge Computing, Drones, HAPS, HIBS,
- LEO and GEO Satellites, cybersecurity, and quantum physics.
5G, 5G Advanced and 6G Essentials
- Introduction to IMT-2030
- 3GPP 6G Roadmaps
- Beyond 5G (B5G) Technologies
- 3GPPRelease Rel-15/16/17
- 3GPPRelease Rel-18 and beyond
- RedCap (Reduced Capability)
- NTN (Non-Terrestrial Networks)
- RIS/RSS (Reconfigurable Intelligent Surface)
Evolution of 5G-Advanced to 6G
- 6G Applications and Services
- ubiquitous mobile ultra-broadband (uMUB)
- ultra-high data density (uHDD)
- ultra-high-speed-with-low-latency communications (uHSLLC)
- 6G System Survey
- Overview of 6G Technology Building Blocks
- XR (eXtended Reality)
- AI (artificial intelligence) and ML (machine learning)
6G RAN and Core Network Architecture
- 6G O-RAN Fundamentals
- 6G THz/Sub-THz
- Overview of THZ (Tera Hertz) Communications
- Overview of Visible Light Communications)
- 6G RF and Optical Engineering
- 6G THz and VLC Engineering
- 6G Cloud & Edge Computing
- Integration of 6G with WiFi 7 (802.11be)
Non-Terrestrial Network (NTN) in 6G
- Fundamentals of Non-Terrestrial Network (NTN) in 5G-Advanced and 6G
- 5G-Advanced and 6G standardization for NTN
- High altitude platform station (HAPS)
HAPS as an IMT BS (HIBS)
- Role of Drones, HAPS, and HIBS in 6G Deployments
- Satellite extension of 6G coverage
- Role of LEO and GEO Satellites in 6G Deployments
- 6G Low-Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite communications
- 6G Geosynchronous Orbit (GEO) satellite communications
- NTN (Non-Terrestrial Networks) extending current NR operations
- 3GPP supported L-band (within the 1-2 GHz range)
- 3GPP supported S-band (2-4 GHz range),
- 3GPP supported Ka-band (17.3-21.2 GHz, 27.0-31.0 GHz ranges)
- Other Mobility and handover management for NTN in 6G
- Adaptive protocol and QoS for NTN in 6G
- NTN and terrestrial network integration
- NTN radio resource management and optimization
- Adaptive beamforming and beam management for NTN
- NTN coverage, capacity, and peak data rate enhancements
- NTN architectural enhancements and inter-satellite communication.
- Data security and AI/ML for NTN
- NTN satellite communication system Experiments
- Satellite NTN typical scenario based on transparent payload (source: 3GPP TR 38.821-g00)
- World Radiocommunication Conference 2023 (WRC-23) 6G NTN Resolutions
6G AI and ML
- Key Fundamentals of AI (Artificial Intelligence) and Machine Learning (ML) in 6G
- Use of of AI/ML in 6G
- Pervasive AI and new 6G Network
- Role of AI in faster rates and lower latency performance gains
- 3GPP Release 15 Network Data Analytics Function (NWDAF)
- 6G Dynamic Resource Allocation
- Beam management and channel state information (CSI) feedback enhancements
- Fine-turning Virtual Network Functions
- Optimizing Mobility, Session Management and QoS
6G and Digital Twin (DT)
- Overview of Role of 6G Mobile Networks in Digital Applications and Services
- The use of DT for 6G networks
- Why Real-time digital replica of real-world objects
- Extended reality (XR), Immersive multimedia to industry 4.0 and beyond
- Robotics and Autonomous driving
- 6G network design and operation
- Real-time interaction and synchronization between physical systems and their virtual image Digital Twin techniques.
- Virtual image of a physical entity or system to model a design using 6G
- Digital Twin architecture and protocols for 6G
- Digital twin edge networks (DITEN) in 6G
- Digital twin networking for 6G
- Energy-efficient and low-latency digital twin in 6G
- AI/Machine learning for digital twin in 6G
- Security and privacy for digital twin in 6G
- Digital twin for converged OT (operational technology)
- Digital twin for ICT Hardware, software, platforms for digital twin systems
- Simulations, prototype, and testbeds for digital twin in 6G
Overview of Innovate Beyond 5G (IB5G)
- Technology hub focused on 6G communications.
- Fundamentals of Open6G
- Overview of 6G Challenges
- Embedded Systems Cybersecurity Evaluations in 6G
- Principles of Quantum Physics in 6G