Offshore Wind Farm Courses
Offshore Wind Farm Courses: Offshore wind power or offshore wind energy is the use of wind farms constructed in bodies of water, usually in the ocean on the continental shelf, to harvest wind energy to generate electricity.
Wind is a form of solar energy and is a result of the uneven heating of the atmosphere by the sun, the irregularities of the earth’s surface and the rotation of the earth.
Wind flow patterns and speeds vary greatly across the United States and are modified by bodies of water, vegetation, and differences in terrain. Humans use this wind flow, or motion energy, for many purposes: sailing, flying a kite, and now in recent history — generating electricity.
According to the Department of Energy, wind turbines operate on a simple principle: The energy in the wind turns two or three propeller-like blades around a rotor. The wind turns the blades, which spin a shaft, which connects to a generator and makes electricity.
An automatic system keeps the turbine pointed into the wind. This allows the utilization of wind blowing from different directions. Turbine blades are normally made of extremely durable fiberglass-reinforced plastic and sometimes of carbon-reinforced fibers. Lightning protection (UV light) is built into the blades.
A large wind farm may consist of hundreds of individual wind turbines, interconnected by a transmission system. In wind farms, turbines are ideally spaced four to 10 rotor diameters apart, depending on the prevailing wind. This minimizes efficiency losses caused by turbine interference — the wake effect.
Offshore wind turbines are connected through an internal grid to an offshore substation, where the voltage is increased to improve transmission over long distances. From the offshore substation, electricity is transmitted onshore through a control center and then to the grid.
When there is only light wind or even no wind, turbines rest in standby mode. When wind blows to a sufficient degree, approximately 4 m/s, the turbine starts operating automatically. It operates at full power when winds are around 6 Bft. In strong winds (in excess of around 10 Bft) the turbine is shut off to prevent unnecessary wear and tear.
Wind position means everything in wind farming. In order for a wind farm to be profitable, it must have a good wind position. After an area has been identified, a thorough examination is made of the geographical surroundings, existing roads, electricity grids, proximity to residences, flora and fauna and any restricted areas.
Offshore Wind Farm Courses
Tonex offers Offshore Wind Farm Training, a 2-day class that helps you to understand the technological developments of offshore wind farms, different types of wind turbines implemented for offshore projects, control of offshore wind farms, protection and reliability assessment of offshore wind technologies.
Who Should Attend
- All individuals who need to understand the offshore wind farms from generation to consumption
- Renewable energy utility engineers
- Test engineers
- Engineers seeking Ph.D. and graduate studies focused on renewable energies and microgrids
- Power traders to understand the offshore wind farm systems.
- Independent system operator personnel
- Faculty members from academic institutes who want to teach the offshore wind farm course
- Investors and contractors who plan to make investments in renewable energy industry
- Professionals in other energy industries
- Marketing people who need to know the background of the products they sell
- Electric utility personnel who recently started career in power systems or having new job responsibilities
- Technicians, operators, and maintenance personnel who are or will be working on renewable energy related projects
- Managers, accountants, and executives of power system industry
- Scientist or non-electrical engineers involved in smart grid related projects or proposals
- So far we have helped over 20,000 developers in over 50 countries stay up to date with cutting edge information from our training categories.
- Reasonably priced classes taught by the best trainers is the reason all kinds of organizations from Fortune 500 companies to government’s most important agencies return for updates in courses and hands-on workshops.
- Ratings tabulated from student feedback post-course evaluations show an amazing 98 percent satisfaction score.
Contact us for more information, questions, comments.