Technology and engineering management is a career that brings together the technological problem-solving ability of engineering and the organizational, administrative and planning abilities of management.
Technology and engineering managers are responsible for planning and directing an organization’s technical operations. They oversee teams of engineers and work closely with architects and other professionals to oversee the successful delivery of civil engineering and construction projects.in order to oversee the operational performance of complex engineering driven enterprises.
Technology and engineering managers employ a collaborative mindset and require a broad managerial skillset combined with engineering expertise. They often split their time between an office and work sites. They are employed by organizations in the professional, scientific and technical services, manufacturing and construction industries.
Tasks and duties of technology and engineering managers are quite diverse, but generally include things like:
- Providing consultation and advice on engineering methods and procedures
- Establishing project schedules, budgets, quality and safety standards
- Overseeing selection and hiring of engineering staff
- Contributing to research and development projects
- Liaising and collaborating with other professionals and departments including architects, marketing and construction managers
- Interpreting plans and specifications and ensuring project conformity including any relevant laws and regulations
- Directing the formulation of engineering strategies, policies and plans
- Setting quality assurance-quality control (QA/QC), cost and safety standards and ensuring standards are met
- Coordinating activities of engineering staff
Technology and engineering managers also face the challenges daily to find new ways to motivate their team and provide resources to optimize their engineers’ skills. According to experts in this field, it’s crucial for technology and engineering managers to champion their team members internally and externally, celebrating their victories and making sure no win goes unnoticed.
Want to learn more? Tonex offers Technology and Engineering Management Certificate, a 4-day course that provides understanding of the various processes involved to manage technology and engineering projects effectively.
Technology and engineering personnel and managers will gain technical application and tools such as: systems engineering, system development, Critical Path Method (CPM), Earned Value Analysis (EVA), Quality Control Charts, Risk Assessment Matrix, Expected Monetary Value (EMV), Communication Channels and Stakeholder Mapping.